Friday, October 13, 2017

Wanderlust

Rain is predicted for tonight but the skies are clear and the stars shining like beacons to heaven. The wind has come up and the odor of logs burning in fireplaces is carried in the air along with the chill it brings. Frequent falling stars can be seen up here because of the clarity and expense of the sky. I can hear the soft tinkling of the neighbor's wind chimes. Mine are still packed away somewhere. Here in my own home I can finally hang them and let them make music when the winds caress them. No signs of the clouds that will bring rain or snow but the winds did proceed the last big snowfall.

I didn't get to finish clearing the stairs today as the ice was too hard for me to chip away and where I had it was slick and slippery from the moisture that had fallen from the roof and I would be foolish to walk on it and take a fall so instead, I retreated.

Again I made the run to the post office while I could, to savor my independence and to exercise the car engine. The drive isn't far and is by now quite familiar. I received the treasure package of pictures from my cousin. The women dressed in the headdresses and gowns of their native towns in Brittany, each one a little different. At times it takes a discerning eye to notice the subtle change from one community to another. No one smiles in the pictures of course; in former days it was not the proper etiquette. Not even at the big events, like weddings, when it is supposed to be the happiest days of your life. This is my family that stayed behind in France. I am a descendant of the branch that chose to look for another world, a new way, a better life. I guess, in a way, that seeking is still in my blood.

My mother, brother, and sister all live in the same area and it has been with me, the wanderlust, who never felt I quite long, and that seeking has led me here to God's country, to eternal beauty and seasons of whiteness, I live in the mountains where you feel a sense of one with nature.

My progress is not seeking a way of life of more but a life of simplicity and peace. A place where my spirit can come to life again and I feel drawn to see the old country and the part of my spirit that remain there.

09301991

No comments:

Post a Comment