Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Embrace the day

This morning I gave a prayer of thanksgiving for a clear deck and driveway. When I went out on the lower deck in front both the quail and chipmunk came asking as I put out seeds, as they were hungry. They didn't run off but instead to stood there watching me and as soon as I accommodated them the quail went to get his friends while the chipmunk thanked me and started eating. I imagine very soon there will be quite a party there for breakfast. Feeding friends inhabit every deck but the lower back one and I am grateful they come to visit.

The sky is overcast with a few blue streaks running through, and the sound of snow popping from the trees in all directions as well as the incessant dripping from the roof can be heard.

The squirrels are running up and down the sides of the house and across the roof and climbing the tree outside the window to check on our indoor activity. The birds too are very active this morning and a variety visitors have come to call, one was a new orange breasted one the size of the dove. Song in many forms, each unique to its species, is being sung. The red-crested finch, the Blue Jays, the morning dove, wrens, all are here as if it is social hour at my home and they have all come calling.

The weather seems uncertain of itself, not knowing whether to rain, snow or be a brighter, more beautiful day, and it leaves us confused as well. There is a strong chill in the air and in the late afternoon the birds exhibit nervousness I interpret as a weather change of a possible storm and soon enough fat flakes of snow start to fall.

The neighbor and I discussed whether we will be shoveling snow in the morning and how he would rather do it daily; to strengthen his back, than to have the brakes I'm grateful for. He is anxious to be off out of town again and I wish them a safe journey but I refuse to let his discouragement affect my appreciation of this day or those to come whatever the gift of weather mother nature of God Himself bestows on us.

Soon enough spring will be here and the winter just a memory captured on film. I treasure all that I see, experience, and grow through. This is the only today I have and I will embrace it with all the love in my heart.

12021990

No comments:

Post a Comment