Monday, February 19, 2018

About the garden

The little cottontail rabbit is here this morning. I am sure he is the one who has been nibbling the tops off my tulips in the flower bed as well as some of the blossoms that have come up in the wooden barrel. First, he hides under the car, then comes out at the edge of the drive nibbling and watching me as I stand on the upper deck. First, the animals are afraid and skittish, then they become curious, bolder, then some of them become quite demanding. The neighbors say they have never seen so many animals and birds in one yard. I think it is because I respect them and realize it was their territory long before people came along. I provide them with food and give them their space. Even the little Chipmunks run across open space instead of hiding. The squirrels run freely across the deck and the big Blue Jay asks for peanuts. I speak to them and they are used to the sound of my voice now and chatter back.

The sky is a brilliant blue with small bands of fluffy white clouds starting here and there like exclamation points. The wind is cold and brisk causing the Angel windmill to spin round and round against the hill.

The boulder line is growing and there are four more I brought home waiting to be added. The marigolds like mini suns shining from below in shades of orange, yellows, and rusts, and the bright pink carnations give me a great sense of accomplishment although there is a lot of hill still to conquer. It all takes time and instead of being impatient I'm grateful as bit by bit becomes transformed with color.

Today, I finish packing the Easter box for my daughter and granddaughter: the Pooh bear, Pooh ball, and the musical duck block holder. I also put in the charcoal, incense, and decide to send my daughter the new hearings I bought as an Easter gift. I tucked in a crafter's apron with pockets and will get the box in the mail tomorrow.

I am enjoying the sunny skies and the ever-changing clouds that throw shadows on the hills. I give all the flowers a good soaking as well as fruit trees as best I can from the bottom of the hill and fill up the very large saucer I am using as a birdbath. I see the squirrel go there to watch himself and get a drink, everything is put to good use.

04061991

No comments:

Post a Comment