Friday, February 2, 2018

Working in the Garden

I'm up really early and watch the pink tinges of dawn lighten to a white cloud streaked blue. The golden marigolds look very chipper from atop my deck and boulder railing has grown significantly. A wee chipmunk darts forward then nervously runs back to hide beneath my car. Finally his curiosity outweighs his timidness and he scurries to investigate the new landscape taking place, sticking his little head between the large rocks that to him truly are boulders. It's like he is saying "check it out, great caves!" There are an unaccountable number of birds as well, in profuse variety and color. As the hill develops, so does their interest.

My neighbor next door also came over while I was planting the roses. she says it is disgusting to be up so early and ambitious. She came back later to check on my progress and told me she had been watching me from her dining room area and gave me her stamp of approval. She and her husband seem to be reluctant to see changes made in the place, as the were friends of the former owners although they seem not to be in touch now that they moved. Getting acceptance from an established area when you are the new kid on the block takes time but they all wave and speak now so I assume I am gradually becoming part of their world.

The yard is full of birds; most of them have adjusted to me and often will stay still and watch me work. At times they all take flight but always return again in a short while. They seem delighted that I have dug up some dirt while planting and peck at it hunting for bugs to eat.

I spent time making more of the note cards while I am waiting to hear whether the antique shop agrees to carry the larger ones. I feel that those who only dash off a note would prefer smaller cards.I also worked on the postcards but am unhappy with the quality of paper (very flimsy) and will have to adjust the settings to print them as they are off line with the paper.

I need to spend time on the house as I have neglected it lately for the yard. I do keep up with the decks everyday so that it is not piled high with empty sells and I have been looking through my gardening magazines for ideas. A secret garden at the end of the drive would be nice, and to build some large wooden planters. They even have instructions for some of the projects.

03191989

No comments:

Post a Comment