Sunday, February 4, 2018

Walls and thoughts

I start my morning in peace and a new determination to exercise more by walking the hills while it's still early. Today, I went down the hill on my own street taking pictures as I went. It is a much different view than snapping shots from the car. I also met the new neighbor a few houses down from me. He was having coffee on his deck so I welcomed him to the neighborhood and introduced myself. He, like me, has relocated from a more crowded area, is an artist, works at home and loves it up here in God's country.

He was fortunate to see his first deer when two appeared in his yard and he was in awe, still. Of course, unpacking will take a while (I should know about that) and finding a place and space for everything.

He has a problem with woodpeckers and the fake owls it was recommended he buy don't help at all. Why am I not surprised! Birds are quite intelligent, I find, as are the squirrels and other animals. He also has an interest in gardening, so we discussed what grows up here and doesn't.

I felt it might help to be welcomed as it made me feel good when three of my neighbors came, at different times, and introduced themselves. Only the neighbors next door come by to chat, others just say hello and passing.

I continued my long walk, going up the long, long, hill on the next street. It became harder going the steeper decline and as I got closer to the top I had to make more frequent stops.

I even got a picture of my own home from a new direction side-by-side with my neighbor's. My little place really looks very private seen from the back, hidden behind my forest of oaks.

In my mind, I earmarked some boulders to retrieve later, which I did on my way home from the post office when I had a car to carry them. I was able to bring home one medium and one smaller bolder and added them to my row at the base of my hill.

I stand on my deck upstairs or down below and view my progress, in my mind imagining where I will put more plants, add the walkway up, set the next terrace of boulders and wonder how I will get them up the hill to place them. Still, I get a sense of satisfaction seeing the small changes I have made already and witnessing the beautiful blooms and carnations and marigolds. Nature is a constant thing to marvel at.

04061992

No comments:

Post a Comment