Thursday, February 22, 2018

New flowers for the garden

I'm off to town today, as I have to take care of some business and will take advantage of being there to search out more plants and find them I did. I bought two large roses already in bloom, Angel face that is lavender, and garden party, which is a greenish yellow pink tips. Another lavender was calling to me, and I don't think you can have too much lavender in your garden, and I love the fragrance. I bought Rosemary to put in a pot, the cuttings I got from a friend are already in a pot and seemed to be doing well, I may plant some up on the hill eventually.

I found four ranunculi in vibrant color: purple, yellow, pink, and white. In the herb department, I also got some oregano. The herbs seem to be doing well dispersed around the flowers. I bought a small flat of dianthus to add more color and two Japanese bamboo shrubs to give some height and a sense of laciness to the garden. I also found a baby breath, which blooms profusely in small white flowers and reminds me of lace. They had some very unusual gladiola bulbs and I bought three packages of different colors, as well as an iris with three beautiful blooms and another shrub called a broom that blooms yellow and grows 6 to 8 feet in height. I've seen them growing around here and they seem to weather the snows quite well.

When I arrived home, I took all the flowers out and put them on my deck, transforming it in a riot of color as if announcing that spring itself has arrived at my doorstep.

I am a little worried about the bare root roses I have planted as they are not getting new shoots very quickly, as they should. One, which is a beautiful shade of lavender when in bloom, has no shoots at all. I had one before in a container before I moved here but it died from the heat on my patio. I hope this one starts responding and does well. I still would like to find sterling silver, which is my favorite. It has the most magnificent long-stem lavender blooms and delicious fragrance of any rose I have ever seen.

Tomorrow will be time for planting and watering and putting my new floral purchases in their new home.

05011990

No comments:

Post a Comment