Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Fog, snow and weekenders

I am up way before the dawn. My mind has been a factory of churning ideas all night but I feel rested nonetheless. The sky is clear except for a group of clouds hanging over the mountains out back. A golden glow peeks through the trees of the mountain out front and could almost be mistaken for a bright porch light except for the glow that backlights the trees on the horizon and you know it is Mr. Moon sinking to bring night to other areas of the world as Mr. Sun arises to the day.

A large Stellar Jay comes to sit on the pinnacle of the neighbor's roof and the squirrels begin to arrive for breakfast. The sound of the quail in the hill across the road comes drifting in before their appearance as they run, sliding down my hill, after crossing the street in twos and threes. The birds arrive in groups and varieties of color in song to welcome the new day. Good morning world, you're up and so are we, ready for another wonderful day in God's country.

In meditation, I slip into the universe and it into me, fused, we are one. When I step outside, a deep, damp fog, comes rolling in, almost hiding my own house from view. The hills are is if absent, as are the houses and trees around me. I feel engulfed in the moistness of fog.

I doubted I would go to the post office when my friend called and offered me a ride. The greeting cards are being postponed getting to the antique store, as is the stair rail to me. The weather here does have a way of controlling our activities. I saw a lone Common Redpoll, which is unusual up here. It was sitting in my flower bed when I return from the post office, another breed add to my list of birds.

This afternoon I started work on the family, tree getting the Canadian branch of the family in order. It took me quite a while to get my cousin Jeanne, her eleven children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren all accounted for.

At five, when I again visited the outside, the sky was letting small flakes of snow fall. Within two hours 3 inches was already on the ground and the wind had picked up. Another night of snowfall is upon us. Neighbors are asking if winter will ever end. The lights are on at the weekender's house across the way. I imagine they came up for some snow find before it is gone for the year. It is time to relax and enjoy the evening myself.

01021989

No comments:

Post a Comment