Thursday, January 4, 2018

Blowing in the wind

The gale force winds blew through the night and still continue today. The birds cling to the trees with heavy grasps, swaying with the big Oak. The decks have been cleared of any husks and debris. One feeder was a casualty, the one for the hummingbirds, which apparently came crashing down and the plastic insert shattered. I might be able to replace that piece, we will see.

The snow started blowing about eight the morning, furiously changing directions with the winds, sometimes hard and heavy and then tapering off but the wind itself is constant, powerful and threatening. There is no point in putting food out on the deck, as it would only be blown away immediately and only one squirrel made a brief appearance. I am grateful for my double paned windows and the barrier I made for the rear door.

Some birds, including the quail, have come to the front Hill and to visit the feeders, many now lighting on the front deck while the cats keep watch. The snow turned into a blizzard burying everything in its wake but when the wind let up to a tolerable level the squirrels came, having missed breakfast, wanting lunch. Pesky, the squirrel, was begging and scratching at the window and he ate shivering all a while, nut by nut, but grateful! I filled all the birdfeeders as well, as they too were hungry, trying to fly to a feeder but being blown sideways in the wind, however they were determined.

The raging storm caused a power outage and the cable remained off for hours. My neighbor attempted to call me but I could not locate my plain Jane phone so I hiked over to her house up the Hill, down the road, and across the bridge. She was pleased to see me and have a little company as her husband has been away for days. I'm blessed to have such wonderful people around me as well as one of the most beautiful places in the world to live.

I will have plenty of snow to shovel when the storm is over. In the meantime, I'll get a head start by clearing the decks so that I am able to stand outdoors without tracking it back inside with me and make it easier going tomorrow. I'm sure it will continue through the night and into the week.

02141992

No comments:

Post a Comment