Saturday, January 20, 2018

Culture Shock

I count my blessings for the sunshine and to visit my dearest friend, as I have missed her company, her warmth, and her humor. We have shared our lives for many years and have a closeness I do not share with my own family I grew up in.

The first thing we did was share a big hug, then pictures. She shows me the changes she has made and I give her a card I had made just for her to give to her brother upon graduation.

I noticed all the changes in the area since I visited last, which wasn't even six months ago, especially the new housing tracks that are so close together and I am grateful for my own home in the hills of God's country and my land and trees and space. I feel a lack of breath in this closeness, the noise and the crowded, cramped, feeling of being on top of each other. It wasn't long ago that I lived in such an atmosphere and it was this impersonal, overpopulated way of living I wanted to leave behind and do not miss.

Her garden is a series of pots on the backyard deck and one orange tree in a corner. There is a lack of Birdsong and no scampering of little critters. Her view is of the neighbors instead of the mountains, open sky, magnificent clouds, forested areas, and the beauty of God's creation.

I miss my friends but not city living even though I must travel to do my major shopping and banking. I know when I am through I can return home to the peace of my mountain home. It is worth putting up with snow and winding roads and long drives. When I exit the freeway and point the car toward home I become aware of the beauty and feel it deep serenity and anticipation as well as relaxation spread through my veins and circulate in my blood. My whole being rejoices at the sight of the trees and beloved mountains, to take deep breathes of clean clear air that carries the scent of snow and pines. I do not hurry but take time to admire the beauty as I slowly wind my way home knowing that peace and serenity is but a short drive away, and the culture shock of the city is behind me

.09131992

No comments:

Post a Comment