Monday, January 1, 2018

Little Bird Friends

Pink fingers of dawn are edging their way up behind the mountain ridge, pushing the dark gray clouds ever higher, illuminating the houses along the pinnacle. Occasional lights go on and you know neighbors are awakening to the day and soon a bird song is sending out its own greetings and praise.

It's a warm and sunny day in the mountains. The oak tree is filled with a variety of birds; Big Blues, small brown wrens, salmon and coral finches, pine grosbeak, northern wheatear, a few titmouse, stellar jays, one robin, a few towhees, sparrows, and lots of Oregon juncos. The cats are enjoying watching the activity between naps.

The snow has melted off the front flower bed and the golden freesias are again in bloom, one little sparkle but there are more bulbs thrusting up their heads.

Crum, the old cat, carries on a soft conversation either to the birds or to herself about the birds. A young sparrow was sitting in my flower bed and didn't move when I walked around, it was tossing empty shells as it can find anything to eat so I threw more seed out.

The Chipmunks have their own bowl of seeds and the wee one who lives under my deck fills his mouth with as many as he can, sits in the sun and crack some open one at a time, enjoying his own private picnic. I am down to my last container of seed and hope to make a run into Santa Clarita tomorrow and have added two big bags to my list necessities, at least the squirrels and birds claim it as one and they're worth the expense. I still have half a big bag of peanuts.

I received more wonderful pictures of my new grandbaby she can certainly push her head up from the floor now and she has her mama's big blue eyes. It's quite noticeable now how much her hair has lightened.

I had a yellow rumped warbler up on my front deck. It sat right near me as if dozing for a nap. It allowed me to go in for my camera and stayed for a picture, as calm as could be. It was here earlier, solo also. I find it quite unusual that I can approach it so closely and it seemingly has no fear. The variety of birds that I share the mountain with is increasing daily.

01131991

No comments:

Post a Comment