Thursday, November 16, 2017

Acts of kindness

I am greeted in the early morning by decks gleaming white from six inches of snow, and absence of driveway or street, icicles clinging to the branches as well as patches of snow. The mountains are a combination of white and green again. When the sun begins its ascent the clouds gradually take on a deepening rose hue and the homes are backlit in color.

This morning quail were on the upper deck, walking the rails and calling the others to join them. As they are too large to perch on the feeder they depend on smaller birds dropping seed to the deck and soon go below for richer pickings.

The snowplow seems out of place in this serene setting, an appearance of horse and sled would seem more appropriate. Snow starts falling again before eight, after I've cleared the decks. As most of the sky is azure instead of cloud-hidden it is not a serious storm, as yet, but merely passing flurries.

I start clearing the driveway even though, as I work, I see more serious gray clouds move in over the forest line and a cold wind quickly picks up. The snow is so damp it clings to the shovel and it takes a bit of pounding to remove and still some adheres to it. My feet are freezing in my back prevents me from making the progress I did yesterday. I realized today will be a long, slow, process. Lord, please give me fortitude.

By nine thirty I am wondering at the wisdom of my continued shoveling as the progress is slower, the air colder, in the snow heavier. There are no blue patches left of the sky but a continuous fog-like mist as the latest storm takes over the morning. I take time to fill the birdfeeder that Peeker the squirrel has claimed as his, and nearly emptied. Patience will give me a worthwhile picture as he performs his acrobatics.

The weather has cleared some, so the snow shoveling continues. I also needed to fill the feeders in the trees as they have quickly been emptied by my abundance of bird visitors. I gave the wee Mickey squirrel, which spends most of his day on my lower deck, a treat of several peanuts. Within the time it took me to take a warm shower they are all gone.

My day ended with an act of kindness. I went out to finish shoveling and found that the young man with the snowplow had cleared the end of my driveway. What a wonderful surprise. Thank you for the kindness of strangers, dear God.

02141990

No comments:

Post a Comment