Monday, November 13, 2017

Squirrels, driveways and pictures

I'd been husking and throwing peanuts to the big gray squirrels out front when one of the little Mickey squirrels comes up to me begging for his share, which I gladly provided. I threw them in the seed bag, which he had knocked down in order to eat from the hole they conveniently created and he dove in after them.

Snowflakes are swirling and dancing in the sky and softly floating to a landing on the ever-growing drifts I have not shoveled, as I'm waiting for the snow the let up first.

This morning Pesky the squirrel was quite vocal, sitting on the railing and chattering loudly, making the squirrel warning sounds. It was as if he were trying to tell me something that in my ignorance I could not understand. I came right up to the window and he allowed me to take pictures without skittering away and he held one paw quite close to his chest. He didn't stay to eat but left suddenly and the birds have been enjoying his rations.

The quail came to create designs in the newly fallen snow, with swirls and loops going out in many different directions. The sun is come out to warm the day and to melt the snow again, at least some of it. I will help clear the driveway with my trusty shovel. In the meantime, a calmer Pesky has come back for his breakfast and the cats are now giving him the attention he feels he deserves.

I learned later that the Hawk was here in the morning, seen by my neighbor, circling overhead; a good reason for this skittishness and chatter of the morning. The Hawk is more interested in catching quail but a fat little squirrel probably would not go unnoticed either.

My neighbor cleared my whole driveway in return for its use to transport the wood he has brought back in his truck to his backyard. I find it a good bargain indeed.

I spend the day on creating more greeting cards. The photograph taken through my upstairs window is lovely but not as crisp as the ones outside because the glass is lightly tinted. A drop of snow hitting my camera lens has marred the picture of my home that is outstanding otherwise with the icy white bushes and the snow falling, blown by the wind. You can feel the cold chill just looking at it and see the flying flakes against the brown of the wood of my home, like fine polka dots in motion. The mountains are barely an outline through the haze and the trees stand out in green relief. Still, I have several pictures that turned out well for my greeting cards and I have the anticipation of finding what the two rolls of undeveloped film hold in the future when I can get down to town to have them brought to life.

12021987

No comments:

Post a Comment