Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Up before dawn

I was up before the sky lightened. The stars, the moon and I seem to be all there was of morning and the shadows that were indistinct on my hill ended and the once across the road began. It wasn't until the light arrived that I noticed the berm behind my car, which means that sometime since the driver of the snowplow, who tried to rearrange my hill yesterday, had returned to plow again.

My right arm and shoulder are still numb from my workout and I realize how little I really accomplished compared to other days. I'll have to be careful with my shoveling and snow tossing today, to do what I can, and remember there is no contest to win.

I put out some peanuts, raisins and sunflower seeds for Peeker, the squirrel, on the front deck. At first, he and his friend ran away but it wasn't very long before greed, or hunger, brought one back. Could it be Gutsy? He ran across the deck and right in front of me, almost reaching the pan before fear made him make a quick retreat. Instead, they went to the back deck to bother Pesky, coming from both sides. They will be out front again soon as Pesky refuses to share and is very territorial. I wonder if they will share with each other, I bet not!

In the meantime, the Blue Jays have discovered the pan and are taking peanuts two at a time, flying away and quickly coming back for more. Even the stellar jay was here. There won't be many peanuts left for the squirrels, or none at all, if they don't come soon. The fracas on the back deck continues. The quail are all over the front yard and the birdfeeders are a hub of activity. A slice of moon still hangs in the pale blue sky.

By eight thirty I am out shoveling, admiring the wonders around me as I take it slow and steady. The snow piles I created yesterday look like tall peaks of meringue before the pies go into the oven to brown. There are pockets of individual feathers across the ice; I count twelve in all, like the apostles. The Mickey twig nest is all covered in snow, looking like a miniature igloo. My neighbors are on their way to Bakersfield for the day. After an hour it is break time.

The car is now clear of snow, next to the berm, and I still need a path to the propane tank. The sun is warm on the front deck and the squirrels continuously cross under my legs to get to the birdfeeder over and over, not as if I'm invisible but that they recognize I am not a threat to them. How much braver will they get, I wonder? My break time is over and another round of snow awaits me. Another lovely day in God's country.

01311996

No comments:

Post a Comment