Friday, November 24, 2017

Snow visitors

My son, his wife and my grandchildren are supposed to come up today. I am excited to share my experiences with them, as well as my world, and weather here in Pine Mountain Club. The kids are looking forward with anticipation of having a whole yard of snow at their disposal.

They arrive in the afternoon loaded with weekend necessities, a great deal of enthusiasm, love and hugs, and inflatable sled, not enough gloves to go around and preparation for dinner for the next two nights as well as lots of snacks they keep the energy level high in the small whirlwinds, in constant motion, I call my grandchildren, but the biggest kid of all is my son. He is the first to slide down the Hill claiming it needs his weight to pack down the snow and he needs at least three or four runs to do it properly.

My son is the first one to find a shovel and start digging, throwing snow as fast as he can down the hill. It's his idea to build an igloo, even though he recruits his children's help, and it's his design. He wants it to be big enough for everyone to huddle within and share the experience. Stairs are carved as well as two entrances and, even though it's not well-rounded, it gets and deserves the attention of neighbors.

There are lots of changes of clothes as the dampness seeps through several layers and snow gets into every seam and crevice causing frozen hands, feet, faces, and a myriad of other body parts, and the washer and dryer are in constant usage. I teach them how to apply plastic bags over socks and between shoes to help ward off the chill and they are surprised at how well it works.

There are breaks for warm-ups in front of a crackling fire and for hot chocolate. The cats are still all in hiding in this highly charged atmosphere and the continuous reminder of "shut the door" resounds like a pealing bell on a Sunday morning but continues to fall on ears with dense screening power.

At the end of the day, children are falling asleep where the land and are gently carried down to bed. That gives the adults time for play and late at night my son and his wife are sledding on snow with a thick icy crust. Whee! Then we take time for relaxation and I am the first to retire. What a wonderful day with my lovely family, oh, how I love them so!

02141997

No comments:

Post a Comment