Sunday, November 5, 2017

One day of play

This morning the air is filled with children's voices echoing with excitement as they ride their sleds down the snow-packed slopes behind the weekender home. Sounds of "oh, my God" fills the usual silence. I can imagine the exhilaration they feel as if it is Christmas morning and they just discovered their packages under the tree. Piercing screams as long as the ride comes careening down to my ears. They probably spent an intense night waiting for the morning light.

There is a bevy of squirrels on the decks, both on the railing and under the table. Pesky must be very hungry as he's trying to eat as fast as he can and doesn't chase the other squirrels right off until they get much too close. I suspect that the something that has been nibbling on my railing is the frustrated squirrels. I'm thinking of what could be a safe but effective deterrent, like curing a small child of thumbsucking.

I have needed to stock up on groceries and had a talk with God last night. Today my friend called and asked me to go to Bakersfield with her. I am grateful for another answer to a prayer. I know it will be a while before it is safe to drive my own wee car to town. God provides what we need when we needed and what we believe is what we receive. Faith is a powerful force, an element of movement in the universe.

It is good to be home at the end of a long day of shopping. I have accomplished much, including acquiring three more birdfeeders. I will decide tomorrow where it is best to hang them. I also bought one hanger that clamps onto the railing, whether it accommodates the squirrels are birds is something for the eyes to see. It just might be both.

The evening stillness is broken by the hoot of an owl, over and over again. Then the high-pitched calls of the coyotes send shivers down my spine, 'yip, yip, yhooh'.... First from one side of the hills then another. It is apparent they are on the move and foraging for prey. The almost full moon is out. I have not heard coyotes in the neighborhood for a while, it could be they prefer the fuller moon to hunt by?

The weekenders have already left after arriving just last night. One day of energetic play in the snow must have been excitement enough. Now to bed for me, I've had enough as well. It was a good day of play.

11021990

No comments:

Post a Comment