Wednesday, November 15, 2017

The end of the day

Tonight the sky is clear and the stars are out to play. The temperature has dropped and the remainder of the snow, after I cleared the decks, crunches under my boots.

The snow was steady all day; sometimes hardy, soft flakes and at other times small pez pellets. The cats got their private animal show and there was so much activity to watch I had to pull up the blinds on even the front windows and I joined in watching and filled the space with my laughter.

Pesky the squirrel, as usual, came to eat but was so continuously distracted chasing off birds and other squirrels that Shredder took the opportunity to gorge himself with seed. Peeker discovered the feeder hanging off the upper front deck and found that if he could stretch out he could grab it and pull it inward and raid the seed, as well as spill seed all over the ground below. Even when I came out on the deck he continued his endeavors and allowed me to take pictures. I wish the neighbors, who laughed at his antics attempting to get the seed from the one I hung from a hook near the eaves, unsuccessfully except in frustration, could have seen him do his circus act with the latest one. He certainly is tenacious.

In the meantime, Gutsy tore open the seed bag and was having his own meal near the front door downstairs, mostly out of the snow, joined off and on by a large variety of birds. When I came out he ran away and then came back while I stood as still as possible, wishing I had my camera, as he was less than a foot away. The next I looked my front deck was filled with quail eating, scratching, investigating, and a few wandering the snow filled yard, then coming back to shelter.

I went out midday to fill all the feeders as the high volume of activity had nearly rendered them empty. I kept the cameras busy snapping pictures and hoping the photographs capture the high energy activity, ingenuity, playfulness, and the joy we all had today.

I feel totally blessed to welcome God's creation and share the abundant bounty He blesses us with. Now it is time to get my feet warm and enjoy my fireplace.

11301995

No comments:

Post a Comment